DA Gascón’s “Bye Bye Bullying” Campaign Gets Big Boost from Golden State Warriors

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
October 27, 2014
Twitter: @GeorgeGascon

CONTACT:
Stephanie Ong Stillman (415) 553-1167
Alex Bastian (415) 553-1931
Maxwell Szabo (415) 553-9089

1st Place Winners to appear in Warriors’ Anti-Bullying Public Service Announcement

SAN FRANCISCO – Today, in conjunction with the Golden State Warriors, San Francisco District Attorney George Gascón announced the grand prize for the winners of the 3rd annual “Bye Bye Bullying” video contest. Participating San Francisco middle and high school students will compete for an opportunity to appear in an anti-bullying public service announcement featuring members of the Golden State Warriors organization.

“It’s not easy for kids these days. Our highly connected world exposes young people to pressures like cyberbullying that have consequences in and out of the classroom,” said District Attorney George Gascón. “It’s exciting to have a partner in the Warriors. Their star power can help us get the attention of these kids, and shine a bright light on a problem facing many in San Francisco and beyond.”

“No one should have to deal with bullying in their lives, especially children,” said Warriors President and Chief Operating Officer Rick Welts. “Our hope for participating in this campaign is to raise awareness and help put an end to bullying for everyone in our society.”

Through the “Bye Bye Bullying” video contest, District Attorney Gascón is encouraging students to use their creativity to increase awareness of cyberbullying. Over the past two years, the "Bye Bye Bullying" video contest received over 100 submissions. The third annual "Bye Bye Bullying" campaign asks San Francisco middle and high school students to stand up against bullying by creating a 60-second video addressing the theme, "Being Bully Free Starts with Me."

The Warriors have graciously joined the District Attorney’s anti-bullying campaign, offering first place winners an opportunity to take part in an anti-bullying video produced by the team that will be shown during timeouts and between quarters at future games. In addition to the Warriors’ prize, second and third place winners will win autographed baseballs and signed photographs of San Francisco Giants players or a Jawbone Jambox smart speaker.

Previous winners and participants have stated that the contest provided an outlet for showcasing their personal stories and struggles with bullying, while encouraging them to advocate for those affected by bullying.

The Warriors will also join the panel of “Bye Bye Bullying” judges which includes Renel Brooks-Moon, radio personality and public address announcer for the San Francisco Giants; Cheryl Jennings, news anchor for ABC 7 News; Irene Van der Zande, founder and executive director of Kid Power; San Francisco Youth Commissioner Jilliam Wu; School Board Commissioner Emily Murase; and last year’s winners Allison Talker and Christopher Pang.

All winning videos will be honored at a December celebration and featured on the San Francisco District Attorney's website.
For more information, go to www.sfdistrictattorney.org
###