Jury Finds Defendant Guilty of Murdering Own Father

October 25, 2013

CONTACT: Alex Bastian, DA Gascón’s Office, (415) 553-1931
Stephanie Ong Stillman, DA Gascón’s Office, (415) 553-1167

SAN FRANCISCO, CA – District Attorney George Gascón announced today that Levit Chavez Jr., age 29, was convicted of second degree murder for fatally stabbing his father in 2009. The jury also found Chavez guilty of premeditated and deliberate attempted murder with enhancements for the use of a knife and great bodily injury.

“A man lost his life defending the woman he loved,” said District Attorney George Gascón. “The fact that his death came at the hands of his own son makes this incident truly disheartening.”

The heinous act occurred on May 24th, 2009. The jury heard compelling testimony from the defendant’s younger brother who was eight years old at the time of the incident. The now 12 year old boy provided testimony indicating that that the victim, Levit Chavez Sr., responded to what he described as, “screams of pain,” in order to defend his partner, the stepmother of the defendant. When the victim stepped in to defend his partner, he was stabbed 15 times in the torso, neck and eye. The defendant then returned to attack his stepmother in his eight year old brother’s bedroom. He stabbed her repeatedly, she suffered wounds to the face, stomach and leg. The defendant’s younger brother witnessed the entire incident.

Levit Chavez Sr. was pronounced dead at the scene, the stepmother was rushed to San Francisco General Hospital where she underwent emergency surgery for extensive injuries.

The victim, Levit Chavez Sr., was a 30 year maintenance worker at MUNI. Levit Chavez Jr. faces 27 years to life in state prison. His sentencing is scheduled for November 19, 2013 in Department 16. The Honorable Harold Kahn presided over the case.

This conviction was made possible by the dedication of Inspectors Mike Gaynor and Michael Philpott, and the support they provided the victims since 2009. Assistant District Attorney Danielle Douglas prosecuted the case. Omar Reyes was the Victim Advocate.