Man Found Guilty of First Degree Murder for SOMA Stabbing

October 17, 2013

CONTACT: Alex Bastian, DA Gascón’s Office, (415) 553-1931
Stephanie Ong Stillman, DA Gascón’s Office, (415) 553-1167

SAN FRANCISCO, CA – District Attorney George Gascón announced today that Charles Robertson, age 44, was convicted yesterday of first degree murder for fatally stabbing Joseph Minozzi in the South of Market neighborhood.

"The residents of this neighborhood suffer from a disproportionate amount of violence, and today's conviction marks a small step towards making their streets safer. Due to the thorough investigation by SFPD, a cold, calculating murderer was brought to justice,” said District Attorney George Gascón.

According to court testimony, on January 12, 2012, 2:30am, victim Joseph Minozzi and his girlfriend were purchasing cigarettes at a store on 6th Street. When Mr, Minozzi exited the store, he encountered the defendant who approached him aggressively. As the victim attempted to walk away, the defendant proceeded to follow him 50 feet into Stevenson Alley where he fatally stabbed Mr. Minozzi with a knife.

After killing the victim, the defendant walked to the Vagabond Inn on 9th Street to meet his female acquaintance where he asked her to help him discard the knife and hide his jacket. The next day, they both fled to Atlanta, Georgia using false identification. Witnesses and excellent police work led authorities to the find the defendant’s female acquaintance. She helped police locate the defendant’s jacket and later became a key witness to the case. Police investigation also uncovered video surveillance footage that caught aspects of the killing. The surveillance footage was instrumental in the first degree murder conviction.

The jury deliberated for one day and found the defendant guilty of first degree murder. The defendant is facing 26 years to life. His sentencing is scheduled for January 17, 2013, in Dept. 25. The Honorable Kay Tsenin presided over the trial.

This conviction is the result of a first class investigation by San Francisco Police Department Inspectors Daniel Dedet and Scott Warnke. Assistant District Attorney Andrew Clark prosecuted the case. Jean Hassett was the Victim Advocate.