Man Murdered Over Playstation 4 Videogame Console

December 4, 2013

CONTACT: Alex Bastian, DA Gascón’s Office, (415) 553-1931
Stephanie Ong Stillman, DA Gascón’s Office, (415) 553-1167

Defendant Ronnie Collins, Charged with Murder

SAN FRANCISCO, CA – District Attorney George Gascón announced today that Ronnie Collins of San Francisco, age 21, was charged with one count of murder and two counts of attempted robbery with firearm enhancement allegations. The charges stem from a December 1st incident when Collins attempted to rob Ikenna Uwakah and his girlfriend for a Playstation 4 videogame console.

"It’s truly disturbing that this defendant took another man’s life over a Playstation 4 video game console,” said District Attorney George Gascón. “If you are buying or selling anything online please use caution and take steps to protect yourself. Make sure you are dealing with someone credible – as this incident illustrates, a small lapse in judgment could cost you your life.”

According to court documents, 22 year-old Ikenna Uwakah, a young man from Daly City, was shot in broad daylight, multiple times while parked in a car near Youngblood Park in San Francisco’s Bayview District on December 1, 2013 at roughly 3:30 p.m. Uwakah later died of his injuries.

Uwakah and his girlfriend had offered a Play Station 4 videogame console for sale on the Instagram social media site and on Craigslist. Defendant Collins had apparently responded to the Instagram ad, and lured the couple to the park to meet him where the transaction would be completed. Initial communications between the couple and the Defendant occurred on Instagram where Collins had posted his actual name and picture. Later communications occurred over cell phones where the Defendant directed the victims to meet him at the site of the attempted robberies and eventual killing.

Defendant Collins, after being satisfied that the couple had a genuine Playstation 4 in the car, reached through the partially-open car window with a gun in hand in an attempt to rob the couple of the game console. Mr. Uwakah pushed the gun away and assured the Defendant he could just have the game. The Defendant responded by shooting the victim four times. While the victim drove away from the scene, the Defendant fled. Mr. Uwakah eventually became incapacitated by his injuries. His girlfriend tried to drive him to a hospital until 9-1-1 dispatchers advised her to pull over and wait for responding paramedics. Mr. Uwakah was transported to San Francisco General Hospital where he was pronounced dead at roughly 4:30 p.m.

The following morning, a judicially-authorized search warrant was executed at the Defendant’s home. There, the Defendant was apprehended while attempting to flee from the house. Inside the house, the cell phone used to direct his victims to Youngblood Park was recovered.

The defendant was in court for arraignment today on one count of murder and two counts of attempted robbery. He did not enter into a plea. His bail was set at 5 million dollars by the court. His next court date is in Department 11 on December 9, 2013 at 9am for arraignment. Assistant District Attorney Scot Clark is the prosecutor on the case.