Legal Internship Program
The San Francisco District Attorney’s Office offers a volunteer law clerk internship program throughout the year to students who have completed at least one full year of law school. The internship positions provide invaluable experience to individuals interested in a career in the field of criminal law.
Interns have the opportunity to work closely with prosecutors in a wide variety of areas of prosecution. Interns may also attend our in-house trainings. Students who have completed at least their first year of law school are placed with units where they will be involved primarily in legal research-related assignments (subject to attorney approval and supervision), including:
- Legal Interns may assist in the preparation of felony and misdemeanor prosecutions and be allowed to observe courtroom activities
- Legal Interns will be responsible for a wide variety of both clerical and legal tasks including review of case files and production of discovery.
- Legal Interns may be asked to review transcripts and listen to tapes and or CDs.
- In addition, they may be asked to assist with any of the functions performed by high school, undergraduate, graduate or paralegal interns, depending on the needs of the office or unit.
Internships are unpaid, and while the office does not require a full-time commitment, a minimum commitment of 16 hours per week is required.
Who Can Apply and for Which Session(s)?
The office is accepting applications for the Fall 2018 Session from 2Ls and 3Ls only. The deadline to apply is September 7, 2018.
Application ProcessAll applicants must complete and submit the following materials in one combined .pdf file in the following order:
- Cover Letter – Please address to Wade Chow, Chief of the Brady, Appellate and Training Division, and indicate the specific program(s) that you are interested in applying for.
- Adult Background Investigation Form (Type into the form, save it, print it, and sign it before including it in the .pdf file)
- A copy of photo identification
- Writing Sample – No longer than 10 pages in length
- Be advised of our outside employment disclosure policy
Email questions and application material to: SFDAInternship@sfgov.org