Man Convicted of Battery on a Police Officer

March 9, 2011

ADA Seth Steward, DA Gascón’s Office, (415) 553-1014
Erica Terry Derryck, DA Gascón’s Office, (415) 553-1167


SAN FRANCISCO, CA – District Attorney George Gascón announced today that Alfred Pitman, (CN 10035302), was convicted by a jury of battery on a police officer that caused serious bodily injury.

A jury found defendant Pitman guilty of battery on a peace officer in violation of California Penal Code Section 243(c). The jury also found the defendant guilty of assault with means likely to cause great bodily injury upon a peace officer engaged in the performance of her duties in violation of California Penal Code 245(c) and guilty of battery causing serious bodily injury in violation of California Penal Code Section 243(d). The jury found true the allegations that the defendant inflicted great bodily injury in violation of California Penal Code Section 12022.7(a), that the defendant is a habitual criminal violating California Penal Code Section 667.5(b), that the defendant has been convicted of prior serious felonies in violation of California Penal Code Sections 667(a)(1) and 667(d) and 667(e). The jury found the defendant guilty of the charges on Friday, March 4, 2011 and guilty of the allegations on Monday, March 7, 2011.

According to evidence presented at trial, on November 28, 2010, the defendant approached an off duty San Francisco Police officer and aggressively asked for money. She identified herself as a police officer and told the defendant he was being too aggressive. The defendant then threw a cup of coffee on her. The officer attempted to detain the defendant and asked a newspaper vender to call 911. When she asked the vender to call 911, the defendant punched her two times in the face knocking her unconscious.

The maximum statutory penalty Alfred Pitman faces is 25 years to life in prison. The sentencing of defendant Pitman is scheduled for Friday, April 1, 2011 at 9:00 a.m. in Department 29 before the Honorable Charles Haines.

Assistant District Attorney Heather Trevisan prosecuted the case.