Man Convicted of First Degree Murder in 2003 Tenderloin Shooting
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
February 15, 2011
ADA Seth Steward, DA Gascón’s Office, (415) 553-1014
Erica Terry Derryck, DA Gascón’s Office, (415) 553-1167
SAN FRANCISCO, CA – District Attorney George Gascón announced today thatJoevan Bowen, (CN 2435626), was convicted by a jury for the murder ofArmando Arce.
After deliberating for less than three days, a jury found defendant Bowenguilty of murder in violation of California Penal Code Section187(a). The jury did not reach a verdict on the allegation of a personaluse of a gun causing great bodily injury or death in violation ofCalifornia Penal Code Section 12022.53(d).
“This defendant’s malicious and violent actions caused the death of anotherhuman being,” said District Attorney George Gascón. “Diana Garcia’sefforts should be commended as she put together a difficult case withreluctant witnesses.”
According to evidence presented at trial, Arce was shot twelve times on February19, 2003 at about 3:30 a.m. near Willow Alley and Polk Street. Theprosecution relied on two central witnesses in this case. Both werepassengers in the same vehicle the defendant traveled in to the locationwhere the murder of Mr. Arce was committed.
This case was prosecuted following the prosecution of two of the defendantsin Alameda County, one of whom testified in the Bowen case. MonterrioDavis, of Oakland, was convicted in Alameda County in 2008 of threemurders, for his role as a lookout in Arce’s murder in San Francisco,and for the killings of two men in Oakland hours earlier, on Feb.18. Davis, 25, was later sentenced to life in prison. Alameda Countyprosecutors said Davis, Bowen and others had been part of a plan tostart a new branch of the “Nut Cases,” a notorious Oakland street gangthat became weakened in early 2003 when many of its leaders werearrested. The Feb. 18 and Feb. 19, 2003, murders were considered a testof their dependability and loyalty.
The maximum statutory penalty defendant Bowen faces is life in prison. Thecase is scheduled in Department 23 before Judge Collins on Thursday,March 17, 2011 to set the sentencing date.
Assistant District Attorney Diana Garcia prosecuted the case.