Man Found Guilty of Double Homicide


News from the Office of District Attorney George Gascón



October 11, 2018

Twitter: @GeorgeGascon

SFDA CONTACT: Max Szabo (415) 553-9089 | Nikesh Patel (415) 734-3205



SAN FRANCISCO — Today, District Attorney George Gascón announced that a jury found Hong Ri Wu, 64, of San Francisco, guilty for the murders of Feng Ping Ou, 30, and Giong Han Chu, 30, on the evening of January 30, 2011 in the Fisherman’s Wharf area of San Francisco. Mr. Wu’s trial occurred in two phases because of his plea of not guilty by reason of insanity. The guilt/innocence phase began in September 2018. On September 27, 2018, the jury found Wu guilty of two counts of second degree murder and an allegation that he personally used a firearm during the commission of the murders. The second phase of Wu’s trial concerning his sanity at the time the murders began on October 1, 2018. The jury began deliberations on October 5, 2018, and returned a verdict yesterday afternoon finding him sane at the time of the murders.

“These were brutal executions in an iconic neighborhood that left two families without their loved ones,” said District Attorney George Gascón. “We thank the jury for their service, and for sending a clear message that violence will not be tolerated.”

According to court records, on January 30, 2011, at approximately 8:00 PM, Wu walked into the souvenir shop at 269 Jefferson Street with a gun and shot Ms. Ou in the chest. Wu then walked to the back of the store and shot Mr. Chu several times.

An officer from the San Francisco Police Department arrived at the scene in response to complaints. Wu was sitting on a stool outside the shop and a security guard was standing close by. The security guard advised the officer that Wu had shot two people, and directed him to Wu’s gun on a glass countertop. The officer observed Ms. Ou’s body and detained Wu while waiting for additional officers and an ambulance to arrive. The officer also confirmed Mr. Chu had been shot and appeared to be deceased.

Both Ms. Ou and Mr. Chu were declared deceased at the scene. Wu was arrested and booked into custody.

Based on court documents, Wu rented and operated the souvenir shop at 269a Jefferson Street from the same landlord who rented the adjacent shop to the victims. An ongoing disagreement between Wu, the landlord and the victims about the terms of their lease appears to have played a role in the murders.

The Honorable Ross Moody presided. This successful prosecution is due to the excellent investigation by Lieutenant Dan Cunningham, retired Sergeant Mike Morley, and other members of the San Francisco Police Department. Additional thanks go to Paralegals Tony Yu and Jessica Diamond, and Victim Advocate Peter Huynh. Assistant District Attorney John Rowland prosecuted the case.