San Francisco Man Convicted of Murder and Manslaughter, Facing 61 Years to Life.


News from the Office of District Attorney George Gascón


DECEMBER 23, 2015


CONTACT:       ALEX BASTIAN-415-553-1931

MAX SZABO-415-553-9089




SAN FRANCISCO — Today, District Attorney George Gascón announced that a jury found Keith Wilkins, 26 of San Francisco, guilty of murdering Marche Daniels, and guilty of voluntary manslaughter for the shooting death of Fred Glaspie.  The jury’s verdict, which was returned yesterday afternoon, also found the allegation true that the defendant used a firearm in the commission of both crimes, and found the Defendant guilty of being a felon in possession of a firearm. Mr. Wilkins is facing a maximum sentence of 61 years to life in state prison.


“This defendant shot two unarmed victims in the head at close range,” said District Attorney George Gascón. “This man has no place in our society, he has forfeited his right to live with the rest of us and will spend the duration of his life in prison reflecting for what he did.”


According to court records, on July 30, 2012, Marche Daniels and Fred Glaspie went to a residence in San Francisco in order to refute rumors that Mr. Daniels had been involved in the shooting death of an individual two days before.  Mr. Daniels had been the last person seen with the individual two days prior, and speculation and rumors had been flying as to whether he might have been involved.  All of the witnesses who testified at trial agreed that Mr. Daniels and his friend, Mr. Glaspie, had arrived at the residence to clear Mr. Daniel’s name, and that neither person had threatened anyone or was armed.  A heated argument erupted between Glaspie and Defendant Keith Wilkins, at which time Defendant Wilkins pulled a handgun and shot Mr. Glaspie.  As Mr. Daniels began to run away, Defendant turned and shot Mr. Daniels.  Mr. Glaspie and Mr. Daniels were both wounded and fell to the ground.  The Defendant proceeded to walk up to Mr. Daniels and shoot him twice in the head, he then returned to Mr. Glaspie and shot him once in the head before fleeing the scene.  Wilkins was apprehended approximately three weeks later in Richmond, CA, by San Francisco Police Department Officers who had been conducting surveillance on the Defendant’s location.


Mr. Wilkins will be back in court on January 22nd to set a date for his sentencing. This conviction was the result of diligent work done by Assistant District Attorney John Ullom.  The investigation was led by Lieutenant William Braconi and Sergeant Gary Watts of the San Francisco Police Department.  Invaluable assistance was provided by Victim Advocate Lili Gamero, as well as District Attorney Investigators Hank McKenzie, Michael Shooter, Daryl Jackson, and Glenn Pon, and Homicide Paralegal Tony Yu. Additionally, Morris Moore provided important IT support. We would also like to acknowledge the support of the Glaspie and Daniels families, as well as the courage of the witnesses who came forward and provided information and testimony at trial.