Two Men Convicted of First-Degree Murder and Conspiracy



News from the Office of District Attorney George Gascón





April 6, 2018

Twitter: @GeorgeGascon

CONTACT:     ALEX BASTIAN (415) 553-1931         |        NIKESH PATEL (415) 734-3205




SAN FRANCISCO – Today, District Attorney George Gascón announced that Trumillion Ballard, 30, of San Francisco, and Anthony Pratt, 32, of Union City were convicted of first degree murder and conspiracy to commit the murder of Gary Smith on the evening of July 13, 2012 near the Baldwin Hotel on 6th Street. A jury also found true the allegation that Trumillion Ballard personally used a firearm during the commission of the murder. The jury began deliberating yesterday morning, and came back with the verdict yesterday afternoon after less than one day of deliberation.


“This was an extremely brazen assassination of a victim, who was in front of his pregnant girlfriend,” said District Attorney George Gascón. “These two defendants will spend the rest of their lives in prison and will be unable to victimize anyone else in San Francisco ever again. We thank the jury for their service.”


According to court records, on the afternoon of July 13th, 2012, the victim, Mr. Smith, and Anthony Pratt's girlfriend were involved in a dispute over money for the purchase of a dog near the area of the Baldwin Hotel. Later that night, the victim went outside the Baldwin Hotel. Both defendants arrived on 6th Street based on images from various cameras in the neighborhood. 


Prior to the shooting, footage showed Defendants Ballard and Pratt hanging out together on 6th Street. As Mr. Smith and his pregnant girlfriend were standing by the Baldwin Hotel, the defendants made their way to Mr. Smith, who was standing with his back to the building. As Defendant Pratt approached the victim, he appeared to say something to him. Then Defendant Ballard got within a few feet of the victim, pointed a large pistol with an extended magazine right at the victim and fired three shots striking Mr. Smith twice in the head. Immediately after the shooting, both the defendants hurriedly fled in Pratt’s Pontiac Grand Prix that was parked close by. The car was registered to him. Both the defendants were arrested in Union City several blocks away from Pratt’s home.


 “The cooperation and bravery of the civilian witnesses in this case should be commended,” said Assistant District Attorney Heather Trevisan. “Thanks to their help, the victim’s family was given the justice they so righteously deserved.”



The Honorable Samuel Feng presided.  This successful prosecution is due to the excellent work of SFPD Deputy Chief Toney Chaplin, Sgt. Jon Kasper and (retired) Sgt. Mike Morley. Additional thanks go to District Attorney Investigator Daryl Jackson, Paralegals Tony Yu and Jessica Diamond, Victim Advocate Maria Reynoso and IT support staff member Leland Chan. Assistant District Attorney Heather Trevisan prosecuted the case.