Two Men Convicted of First Degree Murder, Carjacking and Conspiracy in Bayview Homicide

Friday, June 29, 2012

CONTACT: Stephanie Ong Stillman, DA Gascón’s Office, (415) 553-1167

ADA Alex Bastian, DA Gascón’s Office, (415) 553-1931

SAN FRANCISCO, CA – San Francisco District Attorney George Gascón announced that Sammy D. Frazier, age 39, and Timothy Walker, age 27, were convicted yesterday of first degree murder, carjacking and conspiracy to commit carjacking for the senseless death and carjacking of Winston Coleman. The jury returned the verdict yesterday afternoon, after just six days of deliberation.

“This verdict sends a powerful message that we will utilize all available resources to prosecute violent crime in San Francisco, “said District Attorney George Gascón.” Our streets are safer because these individuals are off the streets and behind bars for this senseless murder.”

According to court documents and witness testimony, on May 31, 2009, prior to 2am, Mr. Coleman was exiting “Sam Jordan’s Bar” on Third St. At approximately 1:57am on Galvez and Third St., Mr. Coleman was shot in the back and his SUV was carjacked. As police arrived they obtained a description from bystanders and pulled over the defendants 1.5 miles away from the scene and about 10 minutes after the shooting. The gun used in the homicide was found in the car, along with a ski mask, gloves and other stolen property that came from the victim’s SUV. Officers found the victim’s vehicle approximately one block away from where the defendants were pulled over. DNA evidence implicated the defendants to the murder and carjacking.

The jury returned the verdict in Department 26. The Honorable Loretta Giorgi presided over the case. The defendants were convicted on one count of first degree murder, a violation of Penal Code Section 187(a), one count of carjacking, a violation of Penal Code Section 215(a), and one count of conspiracy to commit carjacking, a violation of Penal Code Section 182(a)(1). The defendants have a court date on September 13, 2012 to set a sentencing date in Department 26 of San Francisco Superior Court.

Inspectors Walsh and Spillane were the San Francisco Police Department Inspectors on the case. Assistant District Attorney Heather Trevisan prosecuted the case. Jean Hassett was the victim witness advocate on the case.