A jury convicted Andrew Kuhaiki for attack following an argument after he had been asked to move out.
San Francisco, CA – Today, San Francisco District Attorney Brooke Jenkins announced that her office secured a conviction of Andrew Kuhaiki (37) after trial by jury for a brutal and harrowing attack of two women. Mr. Kuhaiki was convicted of assault with a deadly weapon (PC 245(a)1), making criminal threats (PC 422), two counts of witness intimidation (PC 136.1), and two counts of false imprisonment (PC 236). Mr. Kuhaiki attacked the 74-year-old mother and adult sister of a woman he was dating with a machete following an argument amongst the women. The women were arguing because the mother and sister had asked Mr. Kuhaiki to move out of the mother’s house where they were all living together in Visitacion Valley. He attacked and threatened to kill the victims in the mother’s home if they tried to leave or call for help. The mother was able to secretly text a friend who was able to call 9-1-1 and summon police for immediate assistance. Following Mr. Kuhaiki’s arrest, the woman he had been dating, told investigators that she had been beaten, choked and threatened by Mr. Kuhaiki multiple times but had only reported it once to authorities.
“The jury’s verdict delivers justice for the victims and creates an opportunity for them to get help before the intolerable situation they were living in got worse,” said District Attorney Brooke Jenkins. “Abusers, like Mr. Kuhaiki, must be held accountable and face consequences for their acts. I will continue to stand with survivors and do everything I can to ensure that we not only fight for justice in the courtroom for survivors but work to raise awareness and work with partners to end domestic violence in our community.”
The case against Mr. Kuhaiki was successfully prosecuted by Assistant District Attorney Phoebe Maffei with assistance from the District Attorney Investigators Tim Louie and Rosanna Figueroa, Victim Advocate Wesley Chu, and Paralegal Yessenia Oropeza. Prosecutors were able to develop a strong case against Mr. Kuhaiki based on the outstanding investigative work performed by the San Francisco Police Department’s Night Investigations Unit.
“The jury’s verdict brings a portion of this terrifying attack to a close for the two victims, who bravely recounted the Defendant’s threats, assault, and imprisonment from May of last year,” said Assistant District Attorney Phoebe Maffei. “Violence against women, especially in the sanctity of their own homes, will be aggressively prosecuted by our office. We are extremely grateful to these women for standing up and speaking out to hold Mr. Kuhaiki accountable in this case.”
Mr. Kuhaiki has been in custody since his arrest on May 5, 2022. He faces up to eight years in State Prison. Sentencing is scheduled for July 11, 2023.
If you or a loved one is in need of support, please seek help. In an emergency call 9-1-1.
Below are some resources for people experiencing domestic violence.
• National Domestic Violence Hotline (text) START to 88788 or call 800.799.7233
• WOMAN, Inc 24/7 Support Line, 877.384.3578
• Asian Women’s Shelter 24/7 crisis line, 877.751.0880
• La Casa De Las Madres Crisis text, 415.200.3575
Court Number: 22004424